Brushed Out Curls
Bigger isn't always better, but when it comes to this type of frizzy hairstyle, the bigger, the better. Get super exaggerated volume by brushing out your curls for an edgy, not-your-average curly haired look. Los Angeles-based celebrity hairstylist Jonathan Mason tells us how to get the style:
1. Using a 1-inch curling iron, curl your hair away from your face, spraying Wella Dynamic Fix Hairspray as you go.
2. Repeat step one until your whole head is curled, and gently brush out your hair.
3. Spray Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, all over your head to prep hair for backcombing.
4. Backcomb your entire head with a small tooth comb, piecing apart your curls with your fingers to shape.
5. Once you are happy with the volume and shape, spritz your hair lightly with a finishing spray.
1. Start by spritzing your dry hair with a volumizing spray, and then layering on a sea salt spray, like Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray. Turn your head upside down and blow dry completely.
2. Next, begin curling your hair with a 3/4-inch curling iron, wrapping your hair around the rod in different directions. Repeat this process until your entire head is curled.
3. Rake through your curls with your finger, softening them into waves. There should be lots of texture and volume in your hair.
4. Next, flip your head over again and gather your hair into a pony at the back of your head and secure with an elastic. Flip back up and pull out a few face-framing pieces.
5. Spritz some beach spray onto your dry ponytail, and scrunch your pony with your hands to give it even more messy texture.